Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Day 7-8


Learning how to telework while being homeless is turning into a bigger challenge than expected. We often get decent WiFi at our camp site- but it isn’t reliable. And at our last site on Flathead lake the reception was awful. So we learned that Starbucks is the best way to go. I do find that my productivity is pretty high when I don’t have anyone to talk to at the office! 

We are also learning how to get our exercise and our Kolton time in during our assigned non-work hours and how to work during our assigned work hours. I have Kolton until 11, and Narendra has him until 4- or whenever I get done working. I have to get over the guilty feeling of not working in the morning, and just enjoy my time outside and with him. He has been so dang fun! He’s laughing and chatting, but no more waking since Monday. He is such a happy kid and he brings smiles to so many people around us. And he has been sleeping pretty well. As long as the trailer is warm enough, he plays in his bed and then goes to sleep. If he gets cold, he comes and snuggles with us, which we both secretly love because his snuggles are sparse during the daylight hours. 

We had a fun night of Yahtzee with our friends Dennis and Nancy who are seasoned RVers and newly dating widows. They were really cute and fun to hang out with- especially because we hadn’t done much talking to friends lately!

We are settling into camper life. I think we got it down when we are at the campgrounds with full hookups and tonight we are working on our free exploring. We are hopeful we can make it into glacier tomorrow, but Nancy and Dennis were saying they got turned down yesterday. We are hoping there is a shuttle running that will take us past the fire to some hikes on the pass. I wish I hadn’t researched the epic biking before researching the fire. 

We also got the thumbs up that our brakes squeaking were just extra grease and nothing major. Whew that’s a relief!

I can’t believe we have made it a week. In some ways it feels like we are just scratching the surface of this trip, and in other ways we are in the full swing having made it through a week on the road- and a work week. 

I have had ups and downs with work this week, but I am trying to remind myself why we are doing this and why these challenges are worthwhile. Why am I doing this? Well of course Narendra has his reasons, and he was very decided on this adventure happening. For me, I like the challenge it poses to get out of routine and reprioritize.  I want to prove to myself and others that we can make this trip with a kid and a job.  I love all the beauty of America we are getting to experience, so many bucket list items are getting checked. I am also loving quality Kolton time, which was not a preconceived reason for doing this, but is turning out to be a major bonus.  So I am doing this for very selfish reasons and sacrificing some commitment to work and money for the trade off of a once in a lifetime experience. As my brother said- you will only regret the things in life that you didn’t do- you will at least learn from the ones you did.


No comments:

Post a Comment